Difference between “Por qué, porque, por que and porqué”
Some of the words like there’re, there and there, you’re and your, “these and this” seem to be confusing and tricky sometimes even if you knew English perfectly also and many native speakers get it wrong too
People will be able to tell what you are going to say but still writing in the wrong form can change its statement which was also important in it
Similar cases like these were seen in the Spanish words: “Por qué porque, por que and porqué” which seems to be more tricky and complicated to understand. Many native speakers seem to pronounce the four words perfectly but when it comes to writing down they had no idea what is the difference between them.
Similarly all these four words “Por qué porque, por que and porqué” pronounced the same (with some minor differences related to emphasis), but they mean totally different things. While porque translates to “because”, por que translates to “for which”, el porqué to “the reason” and por qué to “why”.
So firstly to learn about them we must first know the differences between them and practices all of these four words briefly.
¿Por qué? : to ask, why in Spanish
Mostly used out all of these which usually means to ask questions similar to in the English words. Mostly same words and confusing but separated with an accent mark over thee.
The following examples are:
- ¿Por qué debemos vivir con esta incertidumbre sobre el futuro? (why must we live with this uncertainty about the future?)
- ¿ Por qué estás tratando de poner eso en mi cabeza? (why are you trying to put that in my head?)
- ¿Por qué me llamaría? (“Why would she call me?”)
Some of the examples as reported question are:
- No sé por qué no lo hablé (“I don’t know why I said it.”)
- No sé por qué rechazaste la oferta. (“I don’t know why you refused the offer.”)
Porque: “Because” or giving answers in Spanish
Quite same like English words both are gonna come together like whenever you are asking “why” the other will always come up with giving answers “because” same like in Spanish whenever you ask “ Por qué” they will came up with answering “porque” both seems to be similar and just separated with an accent mark over e.
Following examples are:
- ¿Por qué me llamaste? Porque necesitaba tu ayuda. (“Why did you call me? Because I needed your help.”)
- ¿Por qué te vas? Porque ya es muy tarde.
(Why are you leaving? Because it is too late already)
- Por qué ¿quieres escalar el Monte Everest? “Porque está ahí (Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest? Because it’s there.”)
Some of the reported examples in porque are:
- Ganó porque es mas fuerte (“He won because he’s stronger.”)
- Tienes que elegir un bando, porque esto es la guerra. (you had to pick a side because this is war)
So now we can understand that “por qué” is known to ask question while the other “porque” is answering it. For beginner, its going to be confusing first, but first you should learn this then proceed to another.
Por que: “For which”
It has 2 words without any accent in it and is known as the most tricky word and not much used according to the four porques. It rather seems weird using it and like moving the preposition to the end. But in Spanish it doesn’t matter much instead we use a word closer to it.
- Esta es la razón por que no vine. (“This is the reason for which(why) I didn’t come.”)
- Este es el motivo por que (por el que / por el cual) no llamé.
(This is the reason for which (why) I didn’t call.)
But when using a phrasal verb like luchar por( fight for), abogar por(advocate for) followed by “que”
- Yo estoy preocupada por que el vuelo pueda cancelarse. (“I’m worried that the flight might be cancelled.”)
- Hice lo que pude por que no llegáramos tarde. (I did what I could so that we wouldn’t be late).
It seems to be quite confusing and puzzling, even the native speakers get confuse itself and get it wrong.
So first, we should start learning the porqué, porque and then por que slowly rather than confusing ownself.
El porqué : “The reason”
The last and the easiest one of all the four, porqué isn’t used often much.
It usually means “the reason” and also mean “why” which is also used as a noun
Following examples are:
- Cuál es el porqué de su elección? (“What is the reason of your choice?”)
- Creo que es el porqué de su decisión (I think that’s the reason for his decision)
So, here we finish learning all the four porques in it. They seems to be confusing and complicated. so, first, try to understand and learn it with examples and make sentences with it which is going to be much fun.